server farm in sharepoint
Group of servers in a single location represents one server farm. It lies in the highest-level element in design structure, and each server farm offers physical isolation of your resources from other server farms. We can be deploy sharepoint in one farm or across multiple server farms depending on requirements. Below points represent various points based on which can decide whether to to deploy on a single farm or across multiple farms :
- Needing multiple dedicated services farms to accommodate heavier use of specific services
- Having separate operational divisions of responsibility in your organization requiring isolation of resources
- Funding that is dedicated for specific purposes requiring more than one farm
- Using separate data center locations
- Satisfying any industry or legal requirements for physical isolation between sites for your organization
- Using multiple server farms to enhance performance and scalability as well as licensing requirements and publishing environment goals
if there is plan on sharing multiple resources in SharePoint environment, a single server farm is sufficient. If requirement is like services and resources to be isolated for any of the circumstances listed above, we require several server farms and probably one server farm per isolation requirement.
In an enterprise-level environment with its needs operating and changing dynamically on many levels, planning for multiple server farms is the better option, assuming isolation is weighted more heavily than budget concerns.