Delete cbs.log file its growing large
This post describes about cbs.log file which is growing large and how you can delete. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files. CBS.Log file is generated by the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe).
The SFC.exe program writes the details of each verification operation and of each repair operation to the CBS.log file. The CBS.persist.log is generated when the CBS gets to be around 50 meg in size. CBS.log is copied to cbs.persist.log and a new cbs.log file is started.
Solution 1 :
you can try compressing the file:
- Right click on the CBS.log file.
- Click on Properties.
- On the General tab, click Advanced.
- Check "Compress contents to save disk space" and click on OK.
Solution 2 :
Another Workaround is to turn off unnecessary services that may calling into CBS;
To disable CBS log, you may change registry key in
Based Servicing] EnableLog=dword:00000000
In addition,also recommended to run sfc/scannow to check the health of system files.
Solution 3 :
If you are sure your system is running fine, you can delete this file. SFC.exe will create a new one, next time it is run.
Please follow below method to delete:
- Stop TrustedInstaller.exe (Windows Module Installer) in Taskmanager Services tab. Additionally if you cannot, open the Taskmanager Processes tab and End Task the same process.
- Delete or move all the .log files in the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS directory, you can delete the .persist and .cab files as well.
- Start Windows Module Installer service (TrustedInstaller.exe) again