While working on SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 migration, a site collection with Business Intelligence on it had quite a lot of bugs after being upgraded to 2013.. One of the bugs I found is that in a PowerPivot Gallery, whenever you want to create a new PowerPivot Gallery Document, you get this instead:
After investigating, I found out that you get the same message when you look at the PowerPivot Gallery Document content type.
With the info we got in those screenshots it’s pretty clear that the problem is a resource file, but why? The problem is that Microsoft, decided to rename the resource file names between SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013. If you go on SharePoint 2010 in “C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft sharedWeb Server Extensions14Resources ” You will see that all the PowerPivot resource files are named “PowerPivotFeatures.resx” + language. You can view this in the image below.
However, in SharePoint 2013, when we navigate to the resource folder “C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft sharedWeb Server Extensions15Resources” , we realize that Microsoft decided to change the name of the resource file to “PowerPivot_Features.resx” As you can see an underscore is now added to the name of the file as you can see in the picture below:
Since we got our Site Collection from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013, everything still references the old resource file, which does not exist since you migrated. Unfortunately, Microsoft did not automatically fix this when you attach the Database, or when you run the “upgrade-spsite” command.
I fixed the problem by simply copying all the “PowerPivotFeatures.resx” files from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013. Since the filenames are different, you won’t have to override any SharePoint 2013 ones. So when you copy them all, your folder will look something like the screenshot below. Notice the SharePoint 2013 resource files in blue and the 2010 ones in Orange.
I would do this during off hours as you may need an IISReset in order for SharePoint to pick up the new resource files.
Drop a comment if this helped!