- A solution package is a distribution package that delivers your custom SharePoint Server 2010 development work to the Web servers or the application servers in your server farm. Use solutions to package and deploy custom Features, site definitions, templates, layout pages, Web Parts, cascading style sheets, and assemblies.
You can deploy a Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 solution directly onto your SharePoint Server farm, or you can deploy the solution into a sandbox. A sandbox is a restricted execution environment that enables programs to access only certain resources, and that keeps problems that occur in the sandbox from affecting the rest of the server environment.
A solution package is a CAB file with a .wsp file name extension and a manifest file.
It is recommended that you use Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SharePoint 2010 to develop and package SharePoint solutions. You can also create solution packages manually by using a tool such as Makecab.exe.
Components that can be packaged in a solution include:
- .NET Framework assemblies, typically Web part assemblies and event receiver assemblies.
- Deployment files such as resource files, pages, or other helper files.
- Features, which allow you to activate and deactivate code in a Web site and provide functionality that include elements such as custom lists, libraries, fields, and content types.
- New templates and site definitions.
- Configurations that must be performed at the Web-server level — for example, deploying customizations to the Web.config files for the registration of Web Parts. You can also modify these configurations with a Feature that is distributed with a Feature.
- Web content such as Web pages and images that are called by Web pages. If you must deploy Web content in a disconnected environment, you should use a content deployment package.
Deployment error web.config is invalid IIS Web Site
Deployment error "The web.config is invalid on this IIS Web Site"
I've developed a web part that deploys and works properly in my DEV environment. When I attempt to deploy to PROD I get the following error:
SOMESERVER : http://sharepointtechnicalsupport.com/ : SharePoint - 41981 :
Error: The web.config is invalid on this IIS Web Site:
SOMESERVER : http://sharepointtechnicalsupport.com/ : SharePoint - 41981 : Error: The web.config is invalid on this IIS Web Site:
SOMESERVER1 : http://sharepointtechnicalsupport.com/ : SharePoint - 23994 : Error: The web.config is invalid on this IIS Web Site:
None of these virtual directories exist.
In Central Administration-> Operation-> Services on Server, please stop the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application service, SharePoint will remove the sites in IIS. And then start the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application service again, SharePoint will recreate the sites in IIS based on information stored in configuration database.
A SharePoint web application can have several zones, each zone will have a separate site in IIS. You will not see all the zones in Central Administration->Application Management->Web Application List. You can find the information in Central Administration->Operation->Alternate Access Mapping.