create add a content database is the most common and frequent task in sharepoint 2019 for an administrator. Tasks during sharepoint migration, database upgrade, back up restore of content database, admin follows one of task to add a content database in web application. We can follow manual process of feom sharepoint central admin Ui method or by using powershell. So in this post will discuss how to create content database.
add a content database in sharepoint using UI method
Follow the step by step procedure to add a content database to web application.
- Open sharepoint central admin.
- Click on “Application Management” from left navigation.
- Click on “Manage content databases” present under “Database”.
- Click on “Add a content database”.
- Enter “Database Server” name.
- Enter “Database Name” present under “Database Name and Authentication”.
- Enter “Number of sites before a warning event is generated”. Once number of sites reached to this number, will send warning mail to admin.
- Enter “Maximum number of sites that can be creted in this database”. This would be the maximum number of site collections can be created. Finally click on “OK”.
- Content databse is created and available in sql db server as below.
- Same can be found under “Manage content databases”. This newly created content database is added to web application. When we try to mount content database in sharepoint using powershell or dismount content databse, this is the place where you can notice the content db.
create content database in sharepoint using powershell
We can use powershell command to add a content database instead of following multiple options from central admin. Run the powershell cmdlet New-SPContentDatabase as below to add a new content database.
New-SPContentDatabase "WSS_Content_9999" -DatabaseServer "WIN-56R9D2TBFOB" -WebApplication http://win-56r9d2tbfob:39760/ -MaxSiteCount 20 -WarningSiteCount 19