Tag Archives: HTTP Error

Sharepoint 2013 – 404 Not Found while accessing site collection from outside

Error :

I have a Sharepoint 2013 running on a Windows Server 2012. Following issue appeared:

I made a new Site-Collection as wiki. Everything (links,…) works fine on the server but when I want to access the wiki from outside (not localhost) the server runs in a 404 Not found error.

http://localhost/sites/wiki/Pages/Home.aspx - works fine(localhost)

http://10.38.0.15/sites/wiki/Pages/Home.aspx - doesn't work.

I checked the IIS settings, all servers are up and running. The log file has no errors in it.

Resolution :

The most common cause for this is that you don’t have the IIS host header configured correctly. The 404 will appear because you are hitting a different IIS web site and not the one you intended to.

If you go into IIS Manager and click on “Sites” in the right hand pane there will be a column called bindings and a column called ID.

IIS will check in the order of ID for the first site that matches. Make sure the default site is stopped. If you see bindings that look like the following:

ID 1: Bindings: *:80

ID 2: Bindings: www.yoursite.com:80

www.othersite.com will match ID 1. Any other site that doesn’t specify a port or https: will be directed to ID 2.

You need to ensure that the site you are trying to access matches your bindings. The “www.yoursite.com” is added to the site via “New Web Application” in SharePoint.

There is a field called Host: in Central Administration. This should match what you are typing from inside and outside the server.

If you need the site to respond to multiple names, you need to extend the web application.

Assuming you used the default of claims authentication, here are the instructions for that:

I am not sure if this is still required in Server 2012, but disabling the loopback check might also help, although this usually results in a 401, and repeated attempts to log in. Here are the instructions for that.

Advertisements

CA MSG:rsCustomAction.exe failed to configure Error code 1 sharepoint SSRS Addin fails

While configuring SharePoint Server Reporting Services (SSRS) at my client, I had a really strange problem on one of the farms… I couldn’t get the SSRS Addin to install. I tried rebooting, repairing but nothing. After digging out in the logs, I found this funny error message:

CA MSG : rsCustomAction.exe failed to configure, Error code is: 1

CustomAction RSSP_CAInstall_64 returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

ca msg-:rscustomaction exe failed to configure error code 1

ca msg-:rscustomaction exe failed to configure error code 1 Also, for the information I was running SQL 2012 SP1 + Windows Server 2012 R2. You might also see something like this in the logs:


Also, for the information I was running SQL 2012 SP1 + Windows Server 2012 R2. You might also see something like this in the logs:
CA MSG:rsCustomAction.exe failed to configure Error code 1

CA MSG:rsCustomAction.exe failed to configure Error code 1

Long Story Short, after a lot of googling and asking for help from SQL & SharePoint masters, I found out that the bug is because I had a line commented in the web.config file of a web application. As strange as this may sound, after deleting the commented line, the install went through perfectly. I couldn’t find any official documentation on this, so if this worked for you please share it in the comments!

Drop a comment if this helped!

something went wrong error

500 Internal Server Error sharepoint2013 SSRS

While trying to install SharePoint Server Reporting Services got into error “SSRS Errors, Gotta catch ‘em all!“. The error is basically getting a “The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error” whenever you click on either “System Settings” or “Manage Jobs

manage reporting services setting

manage reporting services setting

The error:

something went wrong error

something went wrong error

This doesn’t tell us much, however when we go into Event Viewer we find two event IDs that are related to this and they both have similar messages.

event viewer error message

event viewer error message

Event ID 6398

event viewer error message2

event viewer error message2

The thing we find in common in both those errors is “Could not find permission set named ‘ASP.Net’”. Here are the steps. What you probably already done to get to the error:

  • Install Reporting Servers + Addin
  • Run the PowerShell commands (Install-SPRSService & Install-SPRSServiceProxy & get-spserviceinstance -all |where {$_.TypeName -like “SQL Server Reporting*”} | Start-SPServiceInstance)
  • Create the SSRS Service Application.

What I did to fix it:

  • Delete the SSRS Service Application as well as Databases.
  • Run the following PowerShell command: “get-spserviceinstance -all |where {$_.TypeName -like “SQL Server Reporting*”} | Stop-SPServiceInstance
  • Run the following PowerShell command: “Install-SPRSService –Uninstall
  • Run the following PowerShell command: “Install-SPRSServiceProxy –Uninstall
  • Go to Control Panel, Select SQL Server and then click REPAIR. Do a full repair of the SSRS + Addin feature (you shouldn’t have anything else installed on the server anyway, so just select all)
  • Run the PowerShell commands (Install-SPRSService & Install-SPRSServiceProxy & get-spserviceinstance -all |where {$_.TypeName -like “SQL Server Reporting*”} | Start-SPServiceInstance)
  • Create the SSRS Service Application.

Now everything should work! Drop a comment if this helped!