Tag Archives: search index

SharePoint search result not found from specific document library

Advertisements
Advertisements

SharePoint search result not found from specific document library

I came across a situation where user is trying to search documents selecting the option "search in same site" instead of "all sites" from  search box and getting no result where as can find documents from other library with in same site. SharePoint search result not found from specific document library

Why such happens ?

The first point comes to mind for search error is  content not crawled, indexing not done for this situation.

Yes , its true but we need to think why  ?

As per my investigation I found the setting of the library as below

Draft-items-are-not-crawled-in-SharePoint

By default SharePoint only crawls major versions of files and draft items are only viewable by their creators. SharePoint is behaving as expected out of box.Draft items are not crawled in SharePoint

Resolution :

This behavior can be altered in Document Library Settings -> Versioning Settings -> Draft Item Security

Select the option "Any user who can read items".

This will allow all users to see draft items including the crawling account.

* Else you need to select "Create major versions" option or can publish the documents as major versions if want to get those documents in search result as per client wish.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2304855/draft-items-are-not-crawled-in-sharepoint

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

Query 0 Server Not Responding – Event ID 2587

Error :

SERVER1:
Windows 2008 R2 (x64)
SharePoint 2010

SERVER2:
Windows 2008 R2 (x64)
SQL 2008

Services running on SERVER1: (none as localsystem, localservice, networkservice)

SharePoint 2010 Administration (started/auto)

SharePoint 2010 Timer (started/auto)

SharePoint 2010 Tracing (started/auto)

SharePoint 2010 User Code Host (stopped/disabled)

SharePoint 2010 VSS Writer (stopped/manual)

SharePoint Foundation Search V4 (started/manual)

SharePoint Server Search 14 (started/manual)

The RELATED ISSUE(s):

Search/indexing is not working, and in return, backups are failing claiming:

Failure Message Object Query-0 (D: on SERVER1) failed in event On Backup

Search Service Application reports:

Index Partition – 0 – SERVER2Search_Service_Application_PropertyStoreDB_9a482efd99954748a062952a3d2617d7

Query Component 0 SERVER1 Not Responding

System Event Log on SERVER1 reports:

Event ID 2587

The following conditions are currently affecting index propagation to this server for search service application ‘Search Service Application’:

1. Query 0, catalog Main: failing to copy index files from crawl component 0 for 1490 minutes. Access is denied. 0x80070005

2. Query 0 is not being automatically disabled because the minimum number of ready query components per partition is 2.

Solution :

  1. Please try to disconnect the query server from the search topology,
  2. stop the Search service in central admin, clear the index files in the query server.
  3. After that, starts the search service instance using Start-SPServiceInstance PowerShell.

Run the following PowerShell to reset the Query server:

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -Identity “SSAName”
$queryComponents = $ssa | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryTopology -Active | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchQueryComponent
$component = $queryComponents | where {$_.ServerName -eq “QueryServerName” }
$component.Recover()

How to reset a corrupt search index in SharePoint 2013 in case the reset index is not working

On a recent SharePoint 2013 deployment, I faced a strange issue, wherein the search index got corrupted and I was not able to reset the index. Although, I was able to get to the reset index screen and the reset index button was clickable, but each time it went into an infinite loop on clicking the reset index button, and the index was not reset.

After much banging our heads and googling around, I found a small piece of information that really helped and did the trick. Below is a step-wise approach to resolve such an issue.

Step-1
Stop the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service

timer

Step-2
Navigate to the cache folder in the following location: System Drive:ProgramDataMicrosoftSharePointConfig

Step-3
Locate the folder that has the file “Cache.ini”. There may be multiple GUID folders with cache.ini file

Step-4
Back up these folders with the Cache.ini file

Step-5
Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder
Note: When you delete the xml files within the GUID folders, make sure that you do not delete the GUID folder and the Cache.ini file that is located in the GUID folder

xmlfiles

Step-6
Open the Cache.ini file and delete the content, replacing all the text with the number ’1′. Save the file and close
Step-7
Start the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service
After the above steps have been executed, make sure that the Cache.ini file contains some other value and not 1

resetcache